The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost | Hindi Meaning & Major Work

     The Road Not Taken 

                            -Ruskin Bond 

Introduction 

The Road Not Taken" is one of the most famous and widely quoted poems in modern American literature. Written by Robert Frost in 1915 and published as the opening piece in his 1916 collection Mountain Interval. The poem presents a simple situation in which a traveler comes across two roads in a forest and has to choose one of them. However, the two roads symbolize the different choices and decisions that people face in their lives.
             Robert Frost explores important themes such as choice, decision-making, individualism, uncertainty, and the consequences of our choices. The poem is written in simple and beautiful language, but it carries a deep philosophical meaning. A person cannot travel every path or explore every possibility simultaneously.
 

In this Article 
  • The Road Not Taken - Text
  • The setting of the Poem 
  • The the Poet
  • Noteble Major work 
  • The Road Not Taken Line by Line Hindi Meaning

 

  •  The Road Not Taken – Text 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, 

And sorry I could not travel both 

And be one traveler, long I stood 

And looked down one as far as I could 

To where it bent in the undergrowth:


Then took the other, as just as fair, 

And having perhaps the better claim

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there 

Had worn them really about the same,


And both that morning equally lay 

In leaves no step

 had trodden black. 

Oh, I kept the first for another day! 

Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 

I doubted if I should ever come back.


I shall be telling this with a sigh 

Somewhere ages and ages hence: 

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by, 

And that has made all the difference.




  • The Setting of the Poem:

The place - A wood in New England, USA

Time: early morning Autumn day.

Rhyme Scheme - abaab cdccd

Published - 1916 

Collection of - Mountain Interval


  • About the Poet 

Robert Frost (1874–1963) was one of the most celebrated American poets of the 20th century. He was born on March 26, 1874, in San Francisco, California, USA. His father died when he was eleven, and his mother died of cancer when he was twenty-six.  He moved with his family to England in 1912. There, at age 40, his first books were published, and he finally became famous. He wrote about simple things like forests, snow, walls, and roads, but deep philosophical ideas about life, human choices, nature, relationships, loneliness, and the difficulties of everyday life.
       Robert Frost received several important literary honors during his lifetime. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry four times—a record for any poet. In 1961, at the age of 86, he was invited to recite a poem at US President John F. Kennedy's inauguration ceremony.
       Robert Frost died on January 29, 1963, in Boston, Massachusetts. His poetry continues to be widely read and studied around the world.


  • Notable Major Works:

* Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
* The Road Not Taken
*Mending Wall
* Birches
* Fire and Ice
* Acquainted with the Night

  • The Road Not Taken Line by Line Hindi Meaning | Robert Frost

Stanza 1

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;


* Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

पतझड़ के पीले जंगल में आगे जाकर रास्ते अलग-अलग दिशाओं में जा रहे थे।  (अर्थ है, यहाँ 'पीला जंगल' जीवन के एक ऐसे पड़ाव का प्रतीक है जहाँ व्यक्ति को महत्वपूर्ण फैसले लेने होते हैं।)

* And sorry I could not travel both

  कवि को अफसोस था कि वह कि एक अकेला यात्री होने के नाते दोनों रास्तों पर एक साथ नहीं चल सकता था।

* And be one traveler, long I stood

इसलिए वह काफी देर तक वहीं खड़ा रहा और सोचता रहा कि कौन सा रास्ता चुने।

* And looked down one as far as I could

उसने एक रास्ते को जितनी दूर तक देख सकता था, उतनी दूर तक देखा।

* To where it bent in the undergrowth;

लेकिन आगे जाकर वह रास्ता झाड़ियों के बीच मुड़ जाता था, इसलिए उसके आगे दिखाई नहीं देता था। (इसका अर्थ है कि हम भविष्य को एक सीमा से आगे नहीं देख सकते।)


Stanza 2

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,


* ​Then took the other, as just as fair,

फिर कवि ने दूसरा रास्ता चुना, जो पहले वाले जितना ही अच्छा और उचित लग रहा था।

*And having perhaps the better claim,

उसे लगा कि शायद यह रास्ता उसके लिए थोड़ा अधिक उपयुक्त है।

*Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

क्योंकि वह रास्ता घास से ढका हुआ था और उस पर बहुत कम लोग चले थे (उसे इस्तेमाल की ज़रूरत थी)।

*Though as for that the passing there

हालांकि, जब कवि ने ध्यान से सोचा, 

*Had worn them really about the same,

तो दोनों रास्तों पर लगभग समान संख्या में लोगों के चलने के निशान थे। (दोनों रास्तों को लगभग एक जैसा ही इस्तेमाल किया हुआ था।)


Stanza 3

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.


*​And both that morning equally lay

उस सुबह दोनों रास्ते लगभग समान दिखाई दे रहे थे।

*In leaves no step had trodden black.

और उन पर गिरी पत्तियों को किसी भी कदम ने कुचलकर काला या गंदा नहीं किया था (यानी उस सुबह वहाँ से कोई नहीं गुजरा था)।

*Oh, I kept the first for another day!

कवि ने मन ही मन सोचा कि वह पहले रास्ते पर कभी और, किसी दूसरे दिन चलेगा!

*Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

लेकिन यह जानते हुए भी कि कैसे एक रास्ते से दूसरा रास्ता निकलता चला जाता है, ( जीवन में एक रास्ता दूसरे रास्ते की ओर ले जाता है।)

*I doubted if I should ever come back.

उसे संदेह था कि क्या वह कभी वापस उस मोड़ पर लौट पाएगा। (जीवन में भी जब हम एक निर्णय लेते हैं, तो परिस्थितियाँ बदलती जाती हैं और पुराने विकल्प पर लौटना लगभग असंभव हो जाता है।)


Stanza 4

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.


*​I shall be telling this with a sigh

भविष्य में वह इस घटना को एक भावुक आह के साथ याद करेगा।

*Somewhere ages and ages hence:

बहुत लंबे समय के बाद, भविष्य में कहीं। (यानी वर्षों बाद बुढ़ापे में)

*Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

वह बताएगा कि जंगल में दो रास्ते अलग-अलग दिशाओं में जा रहे थे और उसने उनमें से एक चुना।

*I took the one less traveled by,

मैंने वह रास्ता चुना जिस पर कम लोग चले थे,

*And that has made all the difference.

और उसी एक चुनाव ने मेरी पूरी ज़िंदगी में बहुत बड़ा अंतर पैदा कर दिया।


 (Theme & Symbolism)

यह कविता बताती है कि जीवन में लिए गए निर्णय हमारे भविष्य को प्रभावित करते हैं, और एक बार कोई रास्ता चुन लेने के बाद पीछे लौटना हमेशा संभव नहीं होता।